Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blueberry Waffles & Strawberry Milk

Here I sit with blueberry waffles for dinner and strawberry milk (my favorite drink!). I was suppose to tutor two students tonight, but the mother cancelled as I was driving to meet her. Hence the reason for the simple dinner. Oh well - at least I was able to see Matthew for a bit before he headed off to praise band practice. He plays guitar :)

I've been reading an excellent book lately - Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. When I crave and have time for great Christian fiction, I usually read books by Lori Wick. I have read every book of hers and highly recommend them! A lady at church gave me Redeeming Love to read recently and I was hesitant at first - mostly because I'm a devoted Lori Wick reader (silly, I know). Well, I began reading it and have become completely wrapped up in the story. It is a fictional representation of the biblical book Hosea. If you haven't read this book of the Bible, it is a short, intense read that reveals God's love for his people through the love of Hosea and the prostitute wife God chose for him. Incredible. I have fought back tears while reading Redeeming Love and can't wait to finish it! Read Hosea in the Bible first, before reading this book, and you're understanding and awe for God's love will certainly increase.

Besides reading my book, and this other book for a Book Club, I have been all consumed with getting paperwork accomplished for substitute teaching. Oh the hoops I must jump through. It'll be over soon and all I'll have to do is wait (hopefully no more than 2 weeks!) to hear back about acceptance. I can then venture out into the academic world once more and find my place. I miss being in a classroom! Best case scenario, at least in my opinion, would be finding a long term subbing position that transitioned into full time teaching. Anything can happen :)

I took some time to try out a new recipe today. West African Lime Cake - extremely simple to make, as well as a simple flavor. I am supposed to bring two on Friday night. I'll be heading into the Projects of Sanford for another monthly "girls' night." Me and a few other ladies from the church hang out with the teenage girls in that area for a few hours. We bring dinner and share some sort of devotion with them. It's Africa themed this month because one of the ladies is sharing about her trip to Uganda. I offered to find an African dessert - so lime cake it is. Matthew tasted the one I made today and loved it. Actually, he loved it so much that at practice tonight he ran into our small group leader and said I would bring two of the cakes for dessert on Monday! I love my thoughtful husband :) He did call to ask if it was ok... although it was after talking to our leader. Guess I'll be buying more limes. Maybe now he'll buy me a juicer!

Well, my glass of milk is empty and my husband is home. Time to go...

2 comments:

Brittney Galloway said...

I love the blog! Keep up the good work!

Kristy Zabel's Blog said...

Oh cool! Your hubby plays guitar in a praise band? My brother plays guitar too--no praise band though. :( :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails